5-6 YEARS’ PQE
Guardian Media Group plc (GMG) is amongst the UK’s leading media organisations. Its core business is Guardian News & Media, publisher of theguardian.com, one of the largest English-speaking quality news websites in the world. GMG is owned by the Scott Trust Ltd in a unique structure that exists to secure the financial and editorial independence of The Guardian in perpetuity and to safeguard the journalistic freedom and liberal values of The Guardian, free from commercial ownership and political interference.
A role has arisen for a commercial lawyer to join GMG. Reporting to the General Counsel & Company Secretary, you will work closely with their stellar legal team on a range of legal issues.
In particular, you will be responsible for:
* Reviewing, negotiating and drafting a broad range of commercial contracts including content and digital agreements, joint venture and partnership agreements, advertising and marketing deals as well as technology agreements;
* Managing external counsel in the UK and abroad and supporting on a wide range of matters;
* Working with international teams to support their needs (e.g. US & Australia);
* Providing wise counsel to colleagues within the organisation including the handling of disputes, commercial arrangements and generally;
* Advising on a wide range of contentious and non-contentious commercial legal matters including in the areas of intellectual property, technology, digital content and commercial disputes;
* Supporting legal and compliance training programs e.g. working alongside the data & privacy teams.
The ideal candidate will currently be an in-house commercial / corporate lawyer with an excellent grounding from a top tier law firm. In-house experience ideally will be in a general commercial, technology or digital media context.
This is a highly visible role with significant contact at senior stakeholder level. You must have excellent communication, negotiation, drafting and project management skills. Strong organisational skills and the ability to get things done, whilst balancing legal and commercial risks appropriately, are key to this role. So are strong interpersonal skills and diplomacy.
In return, they will offer you an exciting opportunity to work in a non-hierarchical, collegiate and purpose-driven company that offers a stimulating, dynamic and enjoyable working environment.
The Guardian values and respects all differences in all people (seen and unseen). It aspires to provide an inclusive working experiences and an environment that reflects the audience it serves, where its people have equal access to career development opportunities, their voices are heard and they can contribute to the Guardian’s future
Job Reference: 2185
Salary per: Annum
Job Start Date:
Vacancy type: In House,Lawyer/Solicitor